In Ancient times, drumstick (moringa) tree was used to cure more than 300 diseases by the Ayurvedic practitioners. Our ancestors consumed every part of Moringa tree including seed pods (drumstick), leaves, seeds, fruits. In the year 2008, Drumstick tree was named as “PLANT OF THE YEAR” by National institution of health (NIH). Benefits of drumsticks are as follows: –
1. Liver Health – Moringa protects the liver, it contains high concentration of polyphenols that protect the liver against oxidation, toxicity and damage. It can reduce liver damage and fibrosis and reverse oxidation in the liver.
2. Heart Health – Different studies shows that drumstick have cardio-protective effects due to their antioxidant and anti-peroxidative properties.
3. Immune System – Moringa has high content of vitamin A and C, which are very essential for healthy immune functions. Moringa have shown significant immune – boosting properties as they offer protection from infections and conditions caused by pathogens and toxins.
4. Manage Diabetes – Drumsticks are very important for diabetic patients as they are helpful to reduce the high blood sugar levels. Drumsticks are also known to enhance the gall bladder functions, which in turn is helpful in lowering blood sugar.
5. Digestive health – Moringa contains glucosinolates which have strong anti-bacterial properties, especially against the H. pylori bacterium. Moringa prevents from diarrhea, dysentery, colitis, gastritis and peptic stomach ulcers.
6. Stronger Bones – Drumstick promotes a healthy bone structure due to the presence of high amount of calcium that helps to build stronger bones, but also prevents the loss of bone density.
7. Purifying blood – Drumstick act as an antibiotic agent, which possess blood purifying properties.
8. Detoxification – Moringa has a high content of isothiocyanates, which trigger the formation of detoxification enzymes in the body. Isothiocyanates induce the formation of GST (Glutathione S-transferase). GST is a detoxification enzyme that offers protection from oxidative stress as well as chronic inflammation.
Drumsticks are loaded with valuable vitamins, minerals and proteins. Drumstick can be added in pulses, sambar or in the form of soup. Drumstick leaves are also abundant with a variety of health benefits. They are used for multi-purpose treatment of health-related ailments.