Curry leaf is also known as “kaddi patta”. Curry leaf is very popular leaf spice used in very small quantities for its aroma and bioactive constituents. They are rich in medicinal and nutraceutical properties. Indian cuisine experts, especially in South India made it a habit to include curry leaves in their daily diet. Curry leaves are packed with fibre, calcium, phosphorus, iron, and vitamins like vitamin C, A, B, E. Other health benefits of curry leaves are:-
1. Helps beat Anaemia – Curry leaves are rich source of folic acid and iron. It is a natural remedy to beat anemia because folic acid is mainly responsible for carrying and helping the body to absorb iron.
2. Manage diabetes – Curry leaves can be helpful for people who are suffering from diabetes. It contains different minerals like iron, zinc and copper and these minerals offer protection to insulin producing cells of pancreas and prevent damage caused by free radicals. Thus curry leaves reduces blood glucose effectively.
3. Improves Digestion – Curry leaves helps to improve digestion and alter the way body absorbs fat, thereby helping to lose weight. Weight gain is one of leading cause of diabetes and curry leaf treats the root problem.
4. Helps to lower cholesterol – There are many research that shows, curry leaves have properties that can help in lowering one’s blood cholesterol levels because curry leaves are packed with antioxidants which prevent the oxidation of cholesterol to form LDL Cholesterol (bad cholesterol). This in turn helps increasing the amount of good cholesterol (HDL) and protects the body from conditions like heart diseases and atherosclerosis.
5. Weight loss – A Curry leaf contains carbazole alkaloids, which helps with weight loss and also burn LDL cholesterol.
6. Maintain eye health – Curry leaves are rich in vitamin A, which contain carotenoids. Carotenoids lessen the risk of cornea damage. Vitamin A deficiency can cause the disorder of the eye including night blindness, cloud formation and loss of vision. Thus the leaves keep the retina healthy and prevent vision loss.
7. Preserve the Liver – Various researches indicate that curry leaf has tannins and carbazole alkaloids, which exhibit the property of good hepatic protective properties. The highly effective anti-oxidative property when combined with Vitamin C and Vitamin A not only protects, but importantly stimulate the organ to work more efficiently.
8. Protection from pathogens attack – Curry leaves are also effective in fighting bacterial and fungal infections due to the presence of carbazole alkaloids in them. Carbazole alkaloids also known to have antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti- cancer properties.
9. Fight stress – A research published in the Food Chemistry journals has indicated that curry leaves are good source of antioxidants and due to the presence of various vitamins it helps in reducing oxidative stress and free radical scavenging activity. They are also known to fight against anxiety and depression.