According to the World Health Organization ( WHO ) , India had 69.2 million people living with diabetes in 2015 . Nearly 98 million people in India may have type 2 diabetes by 2030 , according to a study published in the Lancet Diabetes and Endocrinology’ journal. Diabetes is a chronic disease , which occurs when the pancreas does not produce enough insulin and it leads to increased concentration of glucose in the blood . The following are helpful tips to help you stay in control of managing diabetes :-
- Add more fiber-rich foods like colorful fruits and vegetables.
- Go for high fiber cereals like whole wheat, oats, brown rice, barley, Quinoa and bread made from whole grains.
- Nuts are a healthy addition to a diabetic diet like almonds, walnuts they are low in digestible carbs and help reduce blood sugar, insulin and LDL levels.
- Avoid sugar and other sugary products like jaggery , honey.
- Eat a balanced diet with complex carbohydrates .
- Maintain regular meal schedule, moderate in calories and low in fat.
- Avoid soft drinks, fruit juices .
- Avoid processed and packaged food.
- Consume high quality protein such as eggs , beans, low-fat dairy and unsweetened yogurt
- Never skip meals.
- Stay hydrated.
- Lose extra weight.
- Exercise to boost energy levels.
- Check blood sugar levels at least twice a week.
Uncontrolled diabetes increases risk of several serious diseases. Eating food that helps to keep blood sugar, insulin and inflammation under control can reduce the risk of developing complications.