One in five young adults in India has high blood pressure, according to research presented at the 70th annual conference of the cardiology society of India ( CSI ). High blood pressure hits Indians at a younger age than Western population. lifestyle modification tips to reduce high blood pressure are as follows :-
1. Quit smoking.
2. Limit alcohol intake.
3. Lose extra weight and watch your waist line.
4. Follow the “DASH” diet, which includes whole fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy products, lean meat, fish and nuts. Eliminate foods that are high in saturated fats, such as processed foods etc.
5. Follow low sodium diet like unsalted nuts, unsalted popcorn, fresh fruits and vegetables etc.
6. Eat more potassium rich foods like bananas, oranges, apricots, cooked spinach, sweet potatoes etc.
7. Cut added sugar and refined carbohydrates.
8. Cut back on caffeine.
9. Low fat diet is very important to maintain blood pressure.
10. High fibre diet.
11. Regular exercise is important to reduce blood pressure.
12. Monitor blood pressure at home regularly.
13. Learn to manage reduce stress levels through yoga and meditation.