“Sun Salutation can energize and warm you, even on the darkest, colder winter day” – Carol krucoff.
‘Surya’ means ‘Sun’ and ‘namaskar’ means ‘worship’, that’s why this sequence is called Surya Namaskar. Surya Namaskar is an ancient practice. It is traditionally done before sunrise and synchronize all movements with inhalation and exhalation. Surya Namaskar is a comprehensive exercise with a set of 12 yoga asanas, which contributes to mental, physical, emotional and spiritual well- being. When practiced with controlled breathing and calming postures, offers many health benefits. Surya Namaskar, also what remains less known, is the emerging link between obesity and cancer. As the sun salutation in yoga, is one of the most effective exercises currently. It is a series of twelve physical postures. The twelve positions of Surya Namaskar are practiced twice to complete one round. The ideal time to practice Surya namaskar is at sunrise, the most peaceful time of day. It is ideal if a person practices Surya Namaskar in the open air, facing the rising sun. It is ideally practiced before other asanas. After completing Surya Namaskar, one should practice Shavasana for a few minutes. This practice will allow the heart beat and respiration to return to normal and all the muscles to relax. Surya Namaskar is a complete Sadhana, spiritual practice which includes Asanas, Pranayama, mantra and meditation techniques. It stimulates all the systems of the body, including circulatory, respiration and digestive systems. Surya Namaskar is the ideal practice to increase awareness and best on good health and well-being.
Benefits of Surya Namaskar:
- Surya Namaskar relieves stress, improve concentration and gives inner peace.
- Diabetic patients can control their sugar level by practicing Surya namaskar on a regular basis.
- Digestive system really improves with regular practice of this asana.
- It boost blood circulation.It benefits joints, ligaments and skeletal system by improving posture and flexibility.
- It also help those people who are suffering from insomnia.
- It is good for the heart and supports the cardiovascular system.
- It gives strength to the body.
- It stimulates the lymphatic system and supports health of the respiratory system.
- With the regular practice of Surya Namaskar, endocrine system starts functioning properly.
- It also helps in weight loss
- It is not advisable for pregnant women
- It is not advisable during high blood pressure and hernia
- During severe back pain, it is not advisable.
Surya Namaskar helps maintain a successful and healthy lifestyle.