Cycling is a simple yet effective form of exercise that can be enjoyed by all ages, from young to the old. Cycling is an aerobic exercise, which provides a workout for the heart, blood vessels and lungs. With this, a person can breathe deeper, perspire and experience increased body temperature, which will improve overall fitness level. Cycling for half an hour is a healthy way to keep the body fit. Riding the cycle to work or to the shops are some of the most time-efficient ways to combine regular exercise with everyday routine.
Exercise boosts brainpower and a recent study found that elderly patients with knee pain and osteoarthritis improved their condition and cycling was beneficial for them when introduced into their routines.
The WHO recommends adults in the age group of 18 to 64 years to indulge in at least 150 minutes of moderate intensity activity throughout the week. A daily cycle ride of just 20 minutes is sufficient to achieve this target. Cycling can also protect from serious diseases.
Benefits of cycling:
- Helps in weight loss: – Weight loss is the significant benefit of cycling as it raises the metabolic rate, build muscle and burns body fat. Cycling is a comfortable form of exercise.
- Manages blood pressure: – Elevated levels of blood pressure have the protentional to damage the blood vessels which causes heart attacks. Cycling is the most important cardio exercise to keep blood pressure under control.
- Manages cholesterol levels: – Regular cycling helps raise the levels of heart protecting HDL cholesterol and reduce the levels of dangerous triglycerides.
- Cardiovascular fitness: – The Copenhagen Heart study, which monitored over 5000 people over a period of 14 years, found a major association between cycling and reduced risk of coronary heart disease. Cycling strengthens heart muscles, lowers resting pulse and reduces blood fat levels.
- Tones muscles: – Cycling utilizes all the muscles in arms and legs. This helps to increase the muscle strength.
- Strengthens bone: – Cycling not only helps to lose weight but also helps to build stamina and increased bone strength.
- Controls diabetes: – Cycling is the best way to control sugar levels in the body. Indians have an increased propensity to develop a pot belly and excessive intra abdominal fat. The waist circumference and the waist hip ratio are good indicators of future diabetes. Regular cycling for half an hour daily, would not only help to burn calories, but would also stabilize the blood sugar levels and make the cells more responsive to insulin.
- Lowers Stress: – Cycling helps lower the stress levels, thereby reducing chances of depression.
- Improves self-esteem: – Cycling boosts self-esteem.
“When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin on the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking. – Arthur Conan Doyle.