According to WHO “Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity. The enjoyment of the highest attainable standard of health is one of the fundamental rights of every human being without distinction of race, religion, political belief, economic or social condition”
According to American Holistic Health Association, AHHA, holistic health is “an approach to life. Rather than focusing on illness or specific parts of the body, this ancient approach to health considers the whole person and how he or she interacts with his or her environment. It emphasizes the connection of mind, body, and spirit”. American Holistic Health Association promotes holistic health as an approach to creating wellness, which encourages a person to: –
- Balance and integrate physical, mental, emotional and spiritual aspects.
- Establish healthy and respectful relationships with others and the world around you.
- Make lifestyle choices that promote wellness.
- Participate actively in health decisions and healing process.
Holistic health aims at increasing higher levels of wellness while holistic medicine tries to determine the underlying causes of a condition and prevent illness rather than treating the symptoms. Most of today’s illness arise due to incorrect lifestyle choices with lesser recognized causes being high sugar or caffeine intake and stress levels. Over time, these tend to decide the quality of the environment for human beings.
Every individual is responsible for his health, he can make decisions on his lifestyle that contributes to his well-being. Physical, mental, emotional and spiritual aspects work together to make a whole person. It is imperative all aspects should work in harmony to achieve wellness, each part receiving adequate attention and care to perform at its best.
The following suggestions are some of the lifestyle changes one can adopt to enhance his health and promote self-wellness.
- Get adequate rest: – Adequate sleep is very important for overall health.
- Take time to exercise: – Some find it helpful to join a gym or lift weights. Others find activities such as dancing, walking, cycling and skating enjoyable and beneficial. The important aspect here is to get at least 30 minutes exercise in a day.
- Drink pure water: – Pure water is very important for proper functioning of body.
- Eat fresh, wholesome food: – Avoid or limit sugar, salt and fatty foods. Replace processed food with fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grains as much as possible
- Laugh, play and have fun – Laughter is a good medicine and playing is necessity for a balanced life.
- Share your feelings with others: – Spend time with the people and share your feelings.
- Create warm and loving relationship, which is important aspect of life
- Find a hobby, take a class, watch educational programs on television.
- Positive attitude is very important for mental peace.
- Meditation is very important to get in touch with our inner selves.
- Learn to trust your innate creativity and thinking.
Healthy living and Holistic health are the core elements of life. When people change lifestyle choices, they begin to enjoy the vitality and well-being resulting from these positive changes while the wellness continuum explores more ways of discovering positive well being.