” Yoga –is the journey of the self, through the self, to the self.”–The Bhagavad Gita
Yoga is an invaluable gift of India’s ancient tradition. It is not only about exercise but also to discover the sense of oneness with yourself. By changing our lifestyle and creating consciousness, it can help in well-being.–Narendra Modi.
International Yoga Day is celebrated on 21st June. The theme for this year is “Yoga for health”. The theme highlights the fact that yoga can contribute in a holistic way to achieve an equilibrium between mind and the body. This approach to health and well-being can make a direct and useful contribution to human’s kind quest to achieve sustainable development and move towards lifestyle that are in harmony with nature.
The word yoga means ‘to join’. It brings your body and mind together, and is built on three main elements- exercise, breathing and meditation. Yoga is a renowned antidote to stress.
Yoga is a group of physical, mental and spiritual practices or disciplines which originated in ancient India. Yoga is a way of living whose aim is to have a healthy mind in a healthy body.
Health Benefits of Yoga in daily life:-
1. Yoga is great for flexibility, strength, posture and balance.
2. Yoga improves quality of life, reduce stress, anxiety, Insomnia, depression.
3. Yoga helps in weight loss .
4. Yoga improves physical and mental strength.
5. Yoga also improve immunity and accelerate healing.
6.Yoga makes the heart healthier and detoxify the body.
7.Yoga is very helpful for Asthmatic patients.
8. Yoga regulates the Adrenal gland .
9. Yoga protects the spine.
The aim of the yoga practice is to overcome all kinds of sufferings that leads to a sense of freedom in every walk of life with holistic health, happiness and harmony. Some of the important yoga asana are following:-
1. Tadasana:- This asana is like the mother of all asana.
a. It strengthens the core and weak backs.
b. It helps to increases the height and correct the faulty posture.
a. It improves the neuro muscular co-ordination.
b. It helps to improve concentration.
c. It makes the legs strong and improve balance.
d. It brings balance and equilibrium to your mind.
3. Pranayama:- It makes one energetic, positive and enthusiastic and bhramari pranayama is very helpful for hypertensive patients.
a. It tones up the back muscles and spinal nerves.
2. It removes constipation.
Avoid:- Please avoid this exercise during abdominal injuries, severe back pain and during pregnancy.
5. Aradha Halasana:-
1. This asana improves digestion and appetite.
2. This is very beneficial for hypertensive patients but with care.
3. It is also very useful in diabetes.
Avoid:- Those who have lower back pain should not perform with both legs together and avoid during abdominal pain,hernia etc.
Except some specific yoga exercises which should be done under the supervision of trained yoga teachers , we should practice yoga for better, stress – free and healthier life.
The most important equipment you need for doing yoga are your body and your mind.: Rodney Yee.
1. www.Un.org/en/events/yoga day.