Potassium is an essential electrolyte which allows the body cells, tissues and organs to function optimally. According to U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Dietary Guidelines, a potassium rich diet helps in lowering the high blood pressure and may reduce the risk of kidney stone and bone loss. Potassium becomes more important in our diet as our body ages.
Foods that are rich in potassium are important in managing high blood pressure because potassium lessens the effect of sodium. The more potassium we eat, the more sodium we lose through urine . Potassium also helps in easing tension in our blood vessel walls, which ultimately helps in lowering the blood pressure.
Potassium rich foods:-
1. Banana , Kiwi, Orange, Pomegranates , Papaya, Peaches, Tomatoes, Dates, Avocados.
2. Broccoli, Peas, Potatoes(especially their skin), Sweet potatoes, Winter squash, Beans, Carrot juice .
3. Soya beans, Kidney beans, Mushrooms.
4. Green leafy vegetables, Apricot, Peaches, figs, Prunes.
5. Coconut water, Milk, Yogurt.
Take action today and give your heart a health boost. Even small changes at first can turn things around towards better and healthier future.
1. www.heart.org/HEART org conditions/ High Blood Pressure.
2. https://en. Wikipedia.org/wiki/potassium.