Blood Pressure is the force exerted by the blood against the walls of the arteries. Hypertension is one of the most prevalent chronic disease in India; 12-17 % in rural areas ; 20-40% in urban areas. Complications due to high blood pressure lead to 9.4 millions death every year world-wide. The exact causes of high blood pressure are not known, but several factors and conditions may play a role in its development.
Causes of high blood pressure
1. Older age:- The older people are at higher risk of having hypertension.
2. Family History:- If a person’s close family members are hypertensive, the chances of developing hypertension is higher.
3. Obesity and overweight:- Both overweight and obese people are more likely to develop high blood pressure as compared to people of normal weight.
4. Lack of physical activity:- Lack of exercise and sedentary lifestyle will raise the risk of hypertension.
5. Smoking:- Smoking causes the blood vessels to narrow, resulting in high blood pressure.
6. Alcohol intake:- People who drink excess alcohol , they have higher systolic blood pressure.
7. Mental stress:- Mental stress especially over the long-term, can have a serious impact on blood pressure.
8. Diabetes:- People with diabetes are at higher risk of developing hypertension.
9. Connshing syndrome:- A new cause of high blood pressure has been identified by researcher is ‘connshing syndrome’ . In this patient do not only overproduced aldosterone but also the stress hormone cortisol.
Food that raise blood pressure:-
1 . Excessive salt intake:- High blood pressure can be caused by excessive by excessive intake of sodium, which means that food is high in salt. Such as processed food, frozen food, Canned soup and canned vegetables are high in salt.
2. Fast food:- All fast food items like pizza, burger, chips and other fast food items are high in salt. These junk food items will increases the blood pressure.
3. Excess consumption of sugar:- Any food containing a large amount of sugar, such as cakes, pastries, sweets, donuts are also likely to cause high blood pressure if eaten too much.
4. Saturated fats:- People who consumes diet rich in saturated fats like red meat, full cream milk, sausages, bacon, margarine etc. They have tendency to have high blood pressure.
5. Pickles and coffee also increases blood pressure.
Hypertension is the biggest single contributing risk factor to death. Lifestyle Modification is essential for the prevention of high Blood Pressure.
1. http:// www.world-heart-federation.org/cardiovascular-health/hypertension-risk factors.
2. http:// www. cdc.gov/ blood pressure/facts.htm
3. http:// www. Birmingham .ac.uk/news/latest/2017/connshing -syndrome.